Montessori Style Functional Kitchen Build

I have been wanting to do this for sometime. But I didn't want to buy an ordinary kitchen and then change out the faucet, I wanted to make something that fit for our home. Which meant storage, and simplicity.


First things first I bought a 6 count cube organizer shelf from target ($35), I looked around for sink options, I almost bought a big beautiful bowl for a farmhouse style sink but there was no lip for the "sit" on so I opted for a stainless steel dog bowl ( which next time I would look for plastic because drilling into a metal bowl is not easy.


I put together the shelves except for the top shelf, this one I placed the dog bowl on, and traced a circle around the biggest part, keeping in mind that I would need to cut the circle slightly smaller than this. I drilled a large hole to fit my jigsaw and then sawed out the circle. I then drilled 3 holes into the sink for the water to drain out of.

Next I finished assembling the organizer and fit the sink into its hole. It fit 98% well, with a little more give than I would have hoped, but considering I was guessing about how to do all of this, I was pretty proud of myself. Once the sink was fit into place I used hot glue to seal the edges so it wasn't going to wiggle around during use. Caulking would be another option. I then took my finger to wipe the hot glue to make it look more appealing rather than a blob, after burning my finger a couple times and realizing this was not the smartest method I used the back of a spoon to achieve the same effect.

Next was to add the basics from Ikea. Utensils, peg board, peg board accessories, scrubbie brush, soap, plates, bowls, drying towel, cutting board, a little shelf and a couple door knobs to hang the towels from.



This is what it looked like at this point. I already owned the two baskets from target and the container for cereal and the pitcher. All that was left was adding a water dispenser and a door to cover the area under the sink.


For the door under the sink I measured the space and then cut a piece of wood I had at home to size with a saw, sanded down the edges and added two hinges so that it could swing open and closed. Then I attached a knob to it and hung it in place. Most of these items I had at home already which was awesome!

It turned out great!


The final step was adding the water dispenser and the jug for water underneath. This was the easiest part of the whole project. I simply drilled a hole for the tube to go through, placed the faucet and then did the same hot glue process as I did with the sink to seal it in place.


All in all I am super happy with how everything came together. It is not perfection, but I am proud with the results! After further use we are going to have to spray all the wood with a weather protectant to seal the wood because otherwise with all the messes it will become compromised.


I made a cost breakdown for you! Basically my project was only $50 cheaper than if I purchased a Ikea kitchen and I made it functional.

For some this difference may be negligible, what makes this ideal for me is that it is customizable. I didn't need a fake oven or a fake microwave or a fake stove top. I wanted a kitchen that functioned for my daughter, which means chopping, washing her hands, a sink for washing tiny dishes, space for her to grab food during the day on her own, and a space for her shoes and socks (I know, not kitchen material, but important to us.) So if you want to do this project on a scale of 1-10 I would say it was probably a 5 on the difficulty scale. The hardest part being fitting the sink. If you do not have a jigsaw this is not really achievable for less than the ikea kitchen. But if you do, and are feeling crafty I would say give it a go. I had a blast creating this, my next project will be adding a little sitting area next to the sink for when she comes indoors after playing for her to sit on and then move the shoes and socks to there.



29 views0 comments